Reasons for amending member names

  • Discrepancies in the initials of a member name
  • Addition or deletion of initials of the name
  • The initials are not in the correct order
  • Discrepancies of the names denoted by initials
  • Another member’s name has been mistakenly used for the correct name
  • Use of new names instead of the name given in the birth certificate
  • Change of name by the member under section 13 of the birth certificate or after marriage
  • Use of false names or nicknames
  • Payment of contributions for many members under a same number

Amending member names

The names can be amended only according to the NIC and the following steps should be taken depending on the nature of the amendment:

  • The name amendment request should be sent along with certified copies of B card, National Identity Card and birth certificate.
  • If the name appears in the B card is different from the NIC name, the B card should be amended with the recommendation of the District Labour Commissioner and the AH should be amended  from the Central Filing Section, Department of Labour, 9th Floor, Narahenpita, Colombo 5.   
  • A letter from the employer confirming the old or incorrect name and the new or correct name with a proof of identity and a request to amend the name should be sent to the Superintendent, EPF, Central Bank, Colombo 1.
  • If the previous employer is no longer active, the members should get the advice from the Department of Labour.
  • In the case of a total name change, member’s total contribution details from the beginning of work till the end should be sent along with the letter of request(Download the Format here).
  • For changes due to marriage, or change in birth certificate, the copies of all birth/ marriage certificates and legal documents certified by the employer should be sent. In the event of the previous employer no longer being active, a letter from the GS of your area, confirming your name, certified by the District Secretary and confirmed by the Deputy Labour Commissioner / Labour Officer, should be sent. Attaching the B card is very important.
  • In case of an amendment to a deceased member name the beneficiaries should get the advice from the Department of Labour, “L” division, 8th Floor, Narahenpita, Colombo 5.
Members / Employees

When leaving service on reaching age of retirement.

  • 1) Males - 55 years
  • 2) Females - 50 years

When leaving service on grounds of marriage in the following context
(For female Employees)

  • 1) If married within 3 months of leaving service
  • 2) Have left service within 5 years of marriage
A certified photocopy of the Marriage Certificate certified by the Registrar who registered the marriage or a marriage certificate issued by the Additional District Registrar should be submitted along with the above forms.

When migrating to another country on a permanent Visa

  • 1) The permanent Visa and a photocopy
  • 2) The Original of the passport and a photocopy along with the above forms should be submitted to the Head Office of the Labour Department

Back to Top